Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 97 12:42 MET
From:      me@tartufo.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CNET announces InterJet...

To get this completely off the Subject:

In lists.freebsd.chat you write:

>One of my coworkers at JPL has designed an entire document management "intranet",
>using CGI's in Perl connected to an mSQL database.  While the prototype is quite
>impressive, I can already see that there is NO way Perl will scale for this project
>to work reasonably efficiently if this server is to be used by all of JPL.  We are
>seriously looking at Java servlets as a way to provide good speed (no context
>switches needed);  the servlet is only loaded and initialized once, and can then
>serve many users simultaneously through threads, compared to perl which must be
>reloaded and reparse the CGI every time it's called!

We're quite happy with 'heitml' here. Kind of like PHP/FI, just better
and more flexible. I wouldn't want to do anything on the web without it
any more. We actually got them to port it to FreeBSD, so I may be a bit
biased :)

Have a look at http://www.h-e-i.de/heitml

Or http://www.ditec.de/dis/mzwun for a complete, database driven, catalog
written in heitml including user management, ordering etc.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, DITEC, Muenchen, Germany - me@muc.ditec.de
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)