Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:02:22 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.2-STABLE or??

Hi Free(BSD)people,
First let me take this opportunity to wish you ALL a MERRY Christmas. It's
been a pleasure knowing a few of you and I must also confess that it's
been worth my time being in this list.
It's given me the chance to figure out quite a good number of things about
the Unix environment but above all it's really changed the methodology I
always employed in looking for solutions to a problem.
I must say that my subscription to freebsd-questions list constituted one
very positive step in my professional life. This has been facilitated by
the friendly heart of a big number of subscribers to this list. At some
point I ended up with the illusion that members of this list were actually
people in their 20s or 30s. In a very short time since I joined the list I
had come to learn the etiquettes of being a member of a mailing list, and
'a living one' for that matter. I had been subscribed to some MS-related
lists and I can tell you it is quite disheartening to realize that all you
can do in a list is to wait for an article to be posted! Maybe there are
TWO types of lists, the type of FBSD-questions and the 'dead' ones.

The feedback one gets in this list is enough to get one out of nowhere to
a very competent user. I must thank all of you abundantly, especially for
the way some members take up issues posted to the list and treat them like
they were the ones having those problems. Actually this is what made me
get to my illusion, giving me the feeling of FreeBSD users being like one
whole party who hold hands together to go across a flooded river, not
wanting to loose any member.

Without naming names, I must also say that I was so keen to visit the
websites hosted by a couple members of the FBSD Core Develpment Team. All
I can say is that I was amazed by the commitment. It was what made me wake
up from my slumber, since I got the chance to see their real faces and
even read their autobigraphies (the little they've stuck up on the web -
which gives quite an insight), and I wondered whatis in these people that
make them sound like so young, while some are really senior citizens.
That they can still spare some (and not little) time from their families
and the husstles of refining FreeBSD to what it is is simply TERRIFIC.

That the ISP I work for in Kenya runs ALL its 6 servers all on FreeBSD proves
that their efforts are worth the trumpet I am blowing for them. I'm yet to
see another OS that is FREE and also gives FREE support. I thank God for
their talent and efforts.

Kudos to the Core Team and all list members. Happy XMas to all ye that are
Christians and long life.

 -Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza