Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 20:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> Is it supposed to offer any advantages other than being able to cd into
> the ports directory and simply type 'make' and have the system fetch the
> distribution and do everything for you, *and* be reasonably well-assured
> that the beast is going to compile?  That is a pretty huge advantage for
> an overworked sysadmin like myself.

True, and ports are probably the aspect of FreeBSD I appreciate most,
however, the more ports I've used the more careful I've become about
them.  The basic downside to ports is their lack of standardization and
QA.

For one thing 'make -n install' typically doesn't yield readable
information unless you first 'cd work/*'.

Secondly, while port A installs under /usr/<newdir>, port B installs to
/usr/local/etc and port C in /usr/libexec, ...  You can never be sure
what is going where and it's a rare port that can be uninstalled with
'make uninstall'.

There's also no way to validate all of the source hosts listed in the
Makefile.  We've downloaded hacked versions of a port and had to
redownload and recompile when the hack became obvious (through corrupt
syslogs and attempts to grab /pwd.db).

Bottom line, ports are cool, no question, but not without risk.

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/