Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:48:05 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Joe Kelsey" <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox 0.9 does not work

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:07:06 -0700, Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:50, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 16:41, Joe Kelsey wrote:
>> > I just upgraded firefox 0.8 to firefox 0.9 and now I cannot even start
>> > the browser!  The first time it started, it came up with a
>> configuration
>> > box, and I let it go with the "upgrade from 0.8" box checked
>> (although I
>> > cannot remember the exact wording...).  Since then, whenever I type
>> > "firefox", it pauses briefly and eventually exits with no messages
>> > printed out at all.  I tried reinstalling with -DWITH_LOGGING on the
>> > make command line, but that has not changed the behavior.
>> >
>> > So, currently I have no access to firefox, whereas I used to get
>> > wonderful service.  How do I get it to print anything at all at me
>> > during loading so I can get some idea where it fails and attempt to
>> fix
>> > whatever has happened?
>>
>> You should have read UPDATING, ports@, or my commit message.
>
> What are you talking about?  I run 4-STABLE, no message in UPDATING!

Yes, it is in /usr/ports/UPDATING and even in FireFox's website in the
known issue.

> I do not find any reason that I need to monitor ports@ or to read CVS
> commit messages, unless you have chosen to create a brand-new
> requirement out of whole cloth that says that I need to monitor ports@
> all of a sudden.

Use any of BSDs and even Linux and Windows, you have to monitor on
anything if you don't want to get any problems, security and etc. If you
do not like it, I might suggest you to switch to Windows for the less work.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org