Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:39:54 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird daily check output

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:34:24 -0500
> From: "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jonslivko@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: weird daily check output

> Actually, what I was refferring to was the portion when FreeBSD
> actually first started, and gave the copyright info, etc. It said:

> FrEeBSD, or something like that. I just thought that it was odd :P

Well 'something like that' is not quite exact enough :-).

If the first E was capitalized the second should have been also.

I've seen this one time a long time ago.  I traced it through a
core dump and found there was a pattern.  After bringing up
man ASCII I discovered that the ones in the wrong case were
either all odd or even, forget which, and I determined it was
the first bit in the memory that was stuck high.  So could have a
bit stuck low or high.

It was on a 3MB add in memory board - that's how long ago it was -
and because of the bit position it had to a 'corner chip' in one of
any of the 32 bit blocks of chips [96 chips to make up 3MB].

And there, nestled among the 256K chips was a lonely 64K chip.  All
the standard boot memory diagnostics passed it. You need to run a
memory check program that performs a walking-bit test, or
checkerboard tests, adjacent bit tests, etc.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com