Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:58:32 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Potchanat Samermit" <psamermit2@home.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation and Bootdisks

> Potchanat Samermit <psamermit2@home.com> types:
> > My machine has only 160 MB harddrive and 4MB Ram. Don't know if I can =
> > upgrade the RAM on this. Too old. I want to start with something minimal
=
> > first until I have more money to buy a good machine for it.=20
> >
> > I have another machine with more RAM (20M) may be that is a better =
> > choice but will be the same HD.
>
> I've seen the claim that you need more than 4MB of ram to install, but
> not run, FreeBSD.

You need 5 MB of RAM to install FreeBSD, but only 4MB to run.

Your biggest problem will be your hard drive.  160MB is roughly enough to
install the base system.  If you plan on doing anything with the FreeBSD
source (such as creating a custom kernel in order to use IP firewalling) you
will need a larger hard drive.

--
Matthew Emmerton