Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:45:07 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Qusetions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What makes my FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE machine crash?

Hullo there,

> What are the most common causes of a FreeBSD machine to crash? (When
> I say "crash", I mean reboot for no apparent reason).

<snip>

> Until recently it had Red Hat LInux 5.1 on it, which crashed quite
> regularly too, but people tell me this was a very buggy version of
> linux so I wasn't to suprised. However, I am very suprised that in
> the first month of FreeBSD 3.3 Release being on the box it has
> crashed twice.

I would be wary here. You tell us the machine has crashed with fBSD, and
ask "why?". You then tell us that under L-RH5 it also 'crashed quite
regularly', and then again with fBSD3.3 'it has crashed twice'.

If it were me, I would be checking that there isn't a hardware fault
before chasing software "faults". My first suspect would be memory.

Can I suggest you power down the machine, remove all boards (including
memory SIMMs), give the contacts a clean, and reinsert everything? Then
see what happens. Another possible cause of errors; have you played with
the jumpers for the CPU speed - i.e. are you trying to overclock the
beast, or have you put a new (different) CPU in it, or perhaps the core
voltage is set incorrectly?

Just some ideas to toss around and think about. But, as I said, I'd be
thinking "hardware fault" at this stage.

hth,

haxxa