Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:02:43 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd stops logging - caught in the act

Let's solve this once and for all.

I've run syslogd -d and sent output to a file and waited for the
inevitable cessation of logging although syslogd is still running.
(Refer PRs 2191 5548 6216 8847 8865 10553 and two or three threads
in -isp and/or -questions earlier this year that summarised the
problems and their scope but didn't reach the list archives)

Now logging's stopped and I need to get it restarted again soon, but I'd
like to collect some useful information first. I need help to do that.

This has been reported for almost all -release and -stable versions since
early 2.2, and it's been hard to pin down what circumstances cause it
or to repeat it on unaffected machines.

The common facts are that syslogd is running, using CPU, but nothing
goes to the logs, not mark messages, logger messages, nothing. One
exception: the logs dutifully rotate and log that they have rotated.
Sending a sighup does not fix it, only completely killing and
restarting syslogd gets it going. Unless this is done, it will continue
with the same behaviour (running but not logging) until reboot.
All past speculation as to the cause has been met with counterexamples.

There are five freebsd machines that exhibit this problem which I only
have access to for another couple of days, so if anyone is interested
in solving this long-standing failure of syslogd please take this
opportunity to work with me on it.

These machines range from almost idle very vanilla 3.3R workstations
with only sendmail running, up to 3.4-STABLE of january running many
daemons and with reasonable load, for which reliable logging is
critical.

Replies to my email address would be appreciated.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-