Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:15:56 -0800
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with large disk. (> 1 TB)

Trying to disklabel a 1 TB disk (with sysinstall or disklabel)
produces a lot of errors.  In sysinstall, there's a kazillion
overflows and negative offsets, and stuff.

With disklabel, it tells me that the partition size needs to
be truncated, then writes the label.  then if I run disklabel
again, it takes the truncated size, says it's too big, and
truncates it again.

Interestingly enough, using DOS FDISK to put a 32MB dos partition
at the beginning of the drive makes it all work fine.

I am not convinced that I am not missing some space, but I haven't
counted up everything yet.

In any case, is this supposed to work?  I'll snag a ton of data
if somebody wants to look at it, but I don't want to invest
the time if it's not meant to.

This is a 8 disk Maxtor 160GB disks in raid 5, on a 3ware
7850 with the 7.4 release firmware.

-Stable supped as of 3/19.