Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:55:31 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk suggestion: INSTALL_BEFORE_ARGS

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 01:44:38PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> I would *really* like this - I also build as a non-root user, and e.g.
> installing gnome etc is simply not feasible without something like this.
> Besides, this probably doesn't affect people who simply build as root,
> does it?

No, it doesn't affect people who build as root, since they'll just do
``make install'' as root instead of the developer's process, ``make'' then
``make install''. I do it this way to test various parts of a port's build
before trying installs. Having INSTALL_BEFORE_ARGS helps debug things (i.e.
when ports do things they're not supposed to do during the build).

To -ports: Hello, anyone here!? Do you want me to write code for this
           before a discussion ensues???

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>