Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:29:32 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "MALLIKARJUNA, M [AG/8042]" <m.mallikarjuna@monsanto.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS error while checking out from client

[ Redirected to freebsd-questions.  Questions should not go to www@. ]

On 2002-08-29 23:28 +0000, MALLIKARJUNA, M [AG/8042] wrote:
> Hi ,
> 	I have created a repository in Linux operating system and when
> I'm trying to check out module from client machine I'm getting
> following error message

Actually there's more than one problems with the following:

> 	sh-2.05$ cvs -d:pserver:cvs@10.200.4.198:/cvsroot co cvstest
> 	cvs checkout: failed to open /home/mmmall1/.cvspass for
+reading: No such file or directory

Before you use `cvs checkout' with the :pserver: method, you need to
`cvs login'.  Before you run `cvs login', create a file called
.cvspass in your home directory.  It should be empty and chmod'ed to
relatively strict permissions (0600 should be fine).

> 	cvs checkout: unrecognized auth response from 10.200.4.198:
+no repository configured in /etc/cvs/cvs.conf

This is a response from the server.  Apparently, the Linux machine
stores CVS repository configuration information in /etc/cvs/cvs.conf
and there's some problem with that file.  Read the documentation of
the Linux distribution to find out why this fails and how to fix it.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve -- http://www.FreeBSD.org