Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:30:55 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        murray@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/31653: Chapter 14 of the Handbook lacks content

> Chapter 14 "Sound" of the FreeBSD Handbook should really be a chapter
> on "Multimedia" and should contain information about playing DVDs with
> FreeBSD, playing popular animation formats (MPEG, QuickTime, Real),
> etc..

Actually, this is a rapidly moving target.  Eg, support for playing
DVDs on FreeBSD has greatly improved in the last month (libdvdread
0.9.x, ogle and mplayer 0.50 which support encrypted dvd playback
using libdvdread, and xine with libdvdcss support, have all shown up
in the last 2-3 weeks) and one expects it will continue to move fast.

Again, the best general-purpose players for animation (mpeg, avi, etc)
seem to be mplayer and xine, and both are moving fast (xine just added
asf support in their last release, while mplayer just jumped from
version 0.18 to 0.50 with major improvements).  Quicktime is, of
course, unsupported, except for some rather old files which don't use
the Sorensen codec.  For Real one just has to use Real's player, in
the ports; this is probably the only stable target here.

I could have a shot at writing something, but it will probably get
outdated rather quickly.

- Rahul