Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:14:20 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netbsd's daemon(3) fixes.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:21:44 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in
> various daemons, anyone have time to see if this is applicable
> to us?  And whether or not to merge the fixes in?

If we go back to the recent fixes OpenBSD did first, the cvs logs give
reasons like,

  daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, including opened log.
  be more carefull about that and nicer to debugging.
  daemon() thingie was pointed out by markus@ .

So it's not really a security issue that I can see. I'm not sure if I
understand under what conditions a daemon(3) call will close
"innocent" file descriptors.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."