Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:58:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        JGarcia <jgarcia1@brokersys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home use

Hi,

> I have purchased FreeBSD 2.2.6 and was wondering if this is a good
> system, for someone to use next to win95 as a dual boot.

Well, if it counts, I use FreeBSD exclusively.  Of course I don't have a
wife and kids either!  :-)  It's certainly possible to dual boot win95 and
FreeBSD.

> Is it possible for me to use it and get a internet browser like
> netscape or internet explorer and also get a copy that has 128
> encryption capabilities so that I may do my banking thru Free BSD?

There is no Internet Explorer available for FreeBSD (I think the ONLY
non-Windows version is Solaris maybe - can't recall).  There are native
versions of Netscape-4.05 available, and I assume 4.5 when it comes out
fairly soon.  It is possible to compile Netscape w/ 128 bit encryption
from Fortify.

> I am taking all this in consideration.
> I await your answer before actually installing it.

Well, before you install it, read through as much of the information as
you can at www.freebsd.org to get a handle of what you're jumping into.
It IS a little bit harder to run FreeBSD (at least to get started) than
Windows, but it is also far faster, stable, and rewarding.  You should
also note that although there are Windows emulators available for FreeBSD,
they are in serious beta testing.  However since you're going to be
keeping your Windows stuff, that won't be a problem for you.

Again, read up a little and be sure to write back if you have more
questions.

Brett