Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:51:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Todd Enersen <tee@fireclick.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with gdb???

On Friday, 30 March 2001 at 11:42:47 -0800, Todd Enersen wrote:
> I've installed the 4.2 distribution of FreeBSD. While porting an
> application to the FreeBSD platform, I've run into a problem with the
> gdb that ships as part of the distribution.
>
> Consider the following small section of code:
>
> <snip>
>
>> gdb mytest
>> (gdb) b main
>> Breakpoint 1 at 0x804848a: file test.c, line 10.
>> (gdb) r
>> Starting program: /usr/home/tee/work/testproxy/mytest
>>
>> Breakpoint 1, main (argc=-1077937256, argv=0x80483ed) at test.c:10
>> 10         Init("foo", 1234);
>> (gdb)
>> (gdb) p argv[0]
>> $1 = 0xff6de850 Error reading address 0xff6de850: Bad address
>> (gdb)
>
> Now should argc and argv be defined to be valid??

Yes, of course.

> This corruption of how gdb views the arguements continues, and makes it
> very impossible to actually debug real programs.
>
> I've also tried to download and build gdb 5.0, but it fails to compile
> under FreeBSD.

Well, I've just tried this under 4-STABLE of 22 January, and it works
fine.    I can't even think what could be causing this problem, but
I'd certainly recommend to recompile the entire gdb and the program.
Are you using any special flags?  I tried with optimization, but that
just removed the call to Init() (since it didn't do anything).  It
didn't cause the problems you're showing.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.