Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:53:46 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

In <Pine.BSF.4.10.10004152012310.82283-100000@pawn.primelocation.net>, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> > With commit of tcsh, I'd like to raise another question.  Are there any
> > plans to replace sh with bash.  Granted they're not 100% compatible,
> > though my only experience with bash vs sh incompatibility was over 6
> > years ago on a Linux system, I still think it's a good idea to replace
> > sh with bash.
> >
> If you were to replace /bin/sh, why not follow OpenBSD's (NetBSD's?) lead
> and import pdksh...getting sh and ksh at once?

Different set of bugs and some bad choices with regards to signal
handling (see http://www.cons.org/cracauer/sigint.html).

The deciding point for me is that our sh has gone through years of
beating as FreeBSD's and NetBSD's standard sh, while pdksh is
virtually untested.

Also, please keep in mind that several people did a lot of bugfixing
for our sh in the last 2 years.  I have several additional fixes I
plan to commit after moving houses (next weeks) and that makes our sh
not that bad, IMHO.  Also, we have several people familiar with ash's
inner workings, while we have none for pdksh.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/