Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:37:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pw@snoopy.mv.com (Paul Werkowski)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: polling in sio.c

Sorry for the delay in replying here.  Work.  Argh.

Paul Werkowski stands accused of saying:

> |     > Card inserted, slot 0
> |     > sio2: Warning: irq_pending error1.	<<< first one in sio.c
> |
> |     Er, you must be using the PAO kernel.  I don't recommend this unless
> |     you need it for something else; the pccard support in the standard
> |     kernels is good enough for this.  I don't actually know what this is
> |     meant to be, but I suspect it's the "didn't generate interrupt" error.
> |
> | I went to PAO because I couldn't get anywhere with the standard
> | code -- but maybe I was making different mistakes then. I could
> | try reverting back. I find the sio code a bit hard to follow, but
>
> So, I upgraded to a stock 2.2.2 kernel. Now I see from dmesg..
>
> apm0 on isa
> apm: found APM BIOS version 1.1
> PC-Card Intel 82365 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
> pcic: controller irq 3
> Card inserted, slot 0
> sio2: probe test 3 failed
> Return IRQ=5
> Card removed, slot 0
>
> Hmm, seems that when I upgraded my office box from 2.1 to 2.2.1
> an internal Black Box modem that had always worked swell suddenly
> started failing the probe. I don't have that modem installed right
> now, but I had set the flag that enables verbose printout in the
> probe and I seem to remember that "sio2: probe test 3 failed"
> message coming out. I wonder if something broke going from
> 2.1 to 2.2? Nah, probably not.

It's always possible.  You can set flags to 0x180 and see if ignoring
test 3 results in a working modem.  Normally I wouldn't recommend
using such a device, as broken hardware isn't the most dependable of
things, but you should be able to get away with it OK.