Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:15:51 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing a running process's credentials

In message <20001115190135.E309@ringworld.oblivion.bg> Peter Pentchev writes:
: Hmm..  I've also received two private mails so far, pointing me to setuid().
: The problem is, I want to force a new UID on *another* process without
: its knowledge.  setuid() only works on the process invoking it, so
: both the 'force' and the 'without its knowledge' part fall by the wayside :(

I think the reaction to this by the security officer team would be
	a) extreme
and	b) negative.

The security implications are huge.

: The security implications I meant have to do with the ability to provide
: either a tool or a sysctl to change the uid of any running process
: on the system - that would have to include stringent controls on exactly
: who and why uses this tool/sysctl.  I have some ideas about this,
: but they need some more grinding before they're ready to be tossed
: at the world for discussion (and dissing ;)

I'd make it a full syscall, not just a sysctl.  I'd also make sure
that only root and no body else could use it.

Maybe I should back up a step and ask what it is you are trying to
accomplish here.

Warner