Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:50:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Stratton <nathan@netrail.net>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a 100Mbit router

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> Anyone having experience with 100Mbit technology?
>
> I'm thinking of building a router from our campus FDDI ring to
> 100MBit Fast Ethernet.
> Using a P5 and PCI bus what hardware could be recommended?

Ya, we are using them for all our routers, we even have one at mae-east.

> What router throughput could be expected?

Not sure, I have only done about 15 meg/sec but never tried to go higher.

> BTW, how reliable is 100BaseT technology?

Vary vary good.

> What does the physical layer look like? Twisted pair phone line
> (2 wire, shielded)? what type are the connectors and wall outlets?

UTP CAT 5 cable and connectors will be fine.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales@netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34