Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:49:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

At Wed, 26 Jun 2002 it looks like David Kramer composed:

> I'm Associate Director at the Boston Linux and UNIX group
> (http://www.blu.org) (we also cover *BSD, but you can only make the name
> so long ;).  Our last meeting was about UNIX standards, and this was a
> very hot topic at that meeting.

Thank you for having a computer group that covers the full
picture.  I was a journeyman machinist prior to leaping into
UNIX and the first thing (fatal_thing) I saw with my co-workers
was their distribution-centric way of life.

It was either Linux or nothing, FreeBSD or nothing, OpenBSD or
nothing.....etc.

I viewed Unix/Linux/FreeBSD as ONE UNIX ENGINE with some minor
differences and if I were to just focus on one flavor then I'd
limit my ability to Unix journeyman.

Solaris was and is still TOUGH but it made me a better FreeBSD
and Linux mechanic and I actually invested in a Ultra-10 for
my home to just be more level in my endeavours.

I actually use FreeBSD on a daily basis at my work along with
Solaris boxes (Intel and Sparc) to keep fluent and I work at a
Linux company !!!.

In each OS I pick a different letter of the alphabet and in my
shell (bash) I type the letter "a" and hit my tab key twice to
list all the commands that start with "a" then start reading
manpages. I do this with 3 xterms open to compare all listing of
FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux commands that start with "a" and
that is what I do to TRY to be the best I can.

[Solaris_letter_a_]

aafire             add_drv            amt                arch
audioconvert       autoconf
aainfo             addbib             answerbook2        arp
audioplay          autoheader
aasavefont         addtosmbpass       answerbook2_admin  as
audiorecord        automake
aatest             admin              apm                asa
audit              automount
accept             admintool          appcert
asppp2pppd         auditconfig        autopush
accessx            aedplot            appletviewer       at
auditd             autoreconf
acctadm            alias              appres             atobm
auditreduce        autoscan
acctcom            aliasadm           apptrace           atoplot
auditstat          autoupdate
aclocal            align_equals       apropos            atq
audlinks           awk
adb                allocate           ar                 atrm
auths

[FreeBSD_letter_a_]

a2p                   agrep                 apprentice.gmaplayer
artsshell             atrm
a2ps                  aicon                 appres
artswrapper           audiofile-config
ac                    airport               apropos
as                    aumix
accept                alias                 aps2file
ascii-xfr             autoconf213
accton                amd                   apsfilter-bug
asclock               autoheader213
acroread              amp                   apspreview
asclock_applet        autopopups
add                   amq                   ar
ascpu                 autoreconf213
addftinfo             an                    arp
asmem                 autorespond
addr2line             ancontrol             arping
asmon                 autoscan213
addresses             another_clock_applet  arprelease
asprint               autosig
adduser               antipolix-client      artsc-config
astime                autoupdate213
addxface              antipolix-server      artscat
at                    awk
adjkerntz             apm                   artsd
atm
affenspiel            apmd                  artsdsp
atmarpd
afmtodit              appletproxy           artsmessage
atobm
afterstep             apply                 artsplay
atq

[Linux_letter_a_]

a2p                   alien                 apple_mv
asp2php
a2ps                  amadmin               apple_rm
aspell
ab                    amcheck               appletproxy
at
abbrowser_conduit     amcheckdb             appres
atalkd
ac                    amcleanup             apropos
atd
accton                amdump                apxs
atktopbm
achfile               amflush               ar
atobm
aclocal               amgetconf             arch
atq
actctrl               amlabel               ark
atrm
addDbDomDocument      amor                  arp
atrun
add_netatalk_printer  amoverview            arping
audiocompose
adddebug              amplot                arpsnmp
audiofile-config
addftinfo             amrecover             arpwatch
audiosend
addr2line             amreport              artsbuilder
aumix
addr2name.awk         amrestore             artsc-config
aumix-minimal
addresses             amrmtape              artscat
authconfig
adduser               amstatus              artscontrol
autoconf
adsl-connect          amtape                artsd
autoexpect
adsl-start            amtoc                 artsdsp
autoheader
adsl-status           amverify              artsmessage
automake
adsl-stop             anaconda              artsplay
automount
adv1tov2              anacron               artsshell
autopasswd
aecho                 animate               artswrapper
autoreconf
afile                 anno                  as
autorun
afmtodit              another_clock_applet  as86
autoscan
afpd                  answer                as86_encap
autoupdate
afpd-mtab.pl          anytopnm              ascii-xfr
autovbox
afppasswd             apacheconf            asciitopgm
avmcapictrl
agetty                apm                   asclock_applet
aweset
alarmd                apmd                  ash
awk
ali                   apmsleep              ash.static
alias                 apple_cp              askrunlevel

--
Bill Schoolcraft