Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 00:37:48 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Terry Lee <terryl@CS.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace and delete problem in X/Netscape

>Hi,
>
>I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize for the
>extra mail baggage.
>
>But...  I'm using the us.iso.kbd keymap so that the backspace key is
>really delete.  As I'm sure most of you know, this get's emacs working
>right, but netscape is now screwed up.
>
>Is there any way to fix this?

Sure, don't use del as your backspace character.  Just do something like
this in your .emacs:

;; key bindings
(global-set-key "\C-h" 'backward-delete-char)
(setq search-delete-char (string-to-char "\C-h"))
(global-set-key "\C-_" 'help-command)
(setq help-char (string-to-char "\C-_"))

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1