Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:53:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Firewall

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> I don't think OpenBSD would be better for this. Probably just as good
> but not better.  Their focus on security is primarily in making sure
> that there are no security problems with the OS itself.  This does not
> mean that they have a better firewall.

Actually, I've found that OpenBSD is easier to configure and deal with in
the bridging and "invisible" firewall configuration than FreeBSD. The
smaller installation footprint of OpenBSD has also proven to be handy, if
a tad bit unfamiliar to people used to most Linux distributions or
FreeBSDs generic install.

now, honestly, as far as i386 goes, FreeBSD may well be the way to go
since it supports many more components and hardware than any other BSD.

another deciding factor in your choice should also be what firewall
software you want to use.

IPFilter is available on NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD (up through 2.9).
IPFilter is somewhat obtuse in syntax, but very powerful, so reading the
FAQ and having some basic grounding in TCP/IP is necessary before you
begin to hack out rules.

IPFW is the native FreeBSD firewall. it's easier to handle, has easier
syntax to read, but isn't quite as powerful as IPFilter.

the upcoming release of OpenBSD 3.0 unveils our 3rd firewall candidate: pf.
pf uses syntax similar to IPFilter, allows macro style expansion of the
rules. very handy. sadly, it is still somewhat buggy, and not quite
production level in code quality.

what this all means to you, the user?

uh.. not much. try them both out. IPFilter has slowly grown on me, to the
point where i don't want to use anything else (why bother? one ruleset,
all the possible versions of BSD I'd going to install and use..). if Net-
and Free- BSD import pf, I'll probably switch over to it.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a guillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan