Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:32:51 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strlcat manpage

Hi Valentin,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:22:21AM +0200, Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> There was a fresh discussion in some maillists (security-audit, glibc-alpha) of
> strlcpy() and strlcat() in context of possible inclusion to glibc.
> Among others, the question was spoken that strlcat manpage contains a dark
> moment of strlcat() return value. One should agree with affirmation that
> strlcat() must not check characters after dst[size-1], the first reason
> is that memory block can end here; but, James Antill reported that
> Sun programmers lost their mind and checks full length of dst as a source
> nul-terminated string. (I didn't check his report.)
> In this context, I think the following patch should be applied to provide
> explicit clarification of this moment and full accordance with source code.

First, it's better to submit such fixes as FreeBSD Problem Reports,
or they'll have a fair chance to get lost in the high volume of
freebsd-hackers.

Second, the strlcat(3) manpage language has already been improved
with respect to this issue.  The upcoming 4.5-RELEASE will contain
the corrected manpage.

Thank you for your effort.

[Not removind freebsd-hackers from CC to show to the world
such messages won't be just ignored here :-) ]

--
Yar