Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:34:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (José Mª Alcaide)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to install the new boot manager?

José Mª Alcaide wrote:

> I have just switched to 3.0 (great job, folks!). Now I would like
> to try the new boot manager, but I don't know how to install
> it in the boot sector. I tried to use "sysinstall", but when it
> asks for confirmation before installing the bootmgr, it says that
> it would install "BootEasy".

I think the -current version of sysinstall does in fact install
boot0 (the new boot manager) while claiming to install booteasy.

You can also use the simple utility at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot0inst-1.0.2.tar.gz

The new boot manager has recently been updated to work much more
like booteasy (F5 support, etc), and also provides the following
additional functionality:

    o  Supports more than two hard drives (if your BIOS does)

    o  Supports booting beyond cylinder 1023 (if your BIOS does,
       though many don't support this properly)

    o  Recognizes a few more recent partitions types (including
       extended partition type 0xf)

    o  Allows the following to be configured on installation:

       o  Timeout value to automatic boot
       o  Whether to use BIOS disk extensions
       o  Whether to avoid updating the master boot record
	  (but not yet supported by the installation utility)

--
Robert Nordier