Date:      30 Mar 2001 22:12:12 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Segmentation fault - core dumped

ml@db.nexgen.com (alexus) writes:

> go to www.apache.org download source code and install it!

Well, that's always possible, but it requires giving up the advantages
of the ports system, which leads to problems like the question that
started this thread (which doesn't occur if you build Apache from the
port).

> ports and packages usually doesn't containt latest software, source codes
> always do:)

Ports are, of course, a way of building source code.  If you get the
latest FreeBSD ports tree, it will contain the ports skeleton for
building the latest version of Apache.  Several methods for updating
your ports collection are described in the FreeBSD handbook.