Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:27:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ccd ccd.c src/sys/dev/vn vn.c src/sys/sys conf.h src/sys/i386/isa fd.c mcd.c scd.c wcd.c wd.c wt.c s

(Moved to -current.)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Also, the persistence people don't mind if devfs is *optional*, then
> it can throw your /dev files away every 5 minutes just for fun if it
> likes - they don't have to use it.

What sense does it make using /dev entries to unconfigured drivers
(that's about all persistance would give you, isn't it :)?

Of course, this assumes a debugged and functional devfs, so the /dev
tree always reflects the current state.  This is certainly some way to
go from now, so don't call for something like persistance just because
you don't like its current bugs. ;-)

I think the union file system might be a good one, so you can stuff
like /dev/tape, /dev/root :) and other pseudo-device names into it.
Alternatively, symlinks inside devfs might do it, but they require
some more effort to save the current state.  Wasn't Julian promising
that he's got symlinks almost working? ;)  We need them badly for
/dev/log.

--
cheers, J"org