Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:36:29 -0600
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   BIND and Win2k interaction

Is anyone running a STABLE with one of the 8.2.3-T5B or greater BINDs and
any DNS interaction with Win2kSP1?

I've been trying to debug some interoperability problems with Win2k DNS
(zone transfers not working, notifies ignored, etc).  I'm running a couple
of different STABLEs (4.1 and 4.1.1), all of which have BIND 8.2.3-T5B and
have been working happily with each other, but they won't play nice with
Win2k.  The Win2K machines I have been using are not running ADS.

I asked over on the bind-users mailing list.  I got an answer initially of
"this should work".  After further debugging on my end and discovering
stranger interoperability problems I got another answer from the same person
of "As you know, 8.2.3 is BETA software.." and the usual litany of
not-running-BETA software.  It's not clear if it's known to be broken or
what.

Since I don't exactly consider STABLE to be beta and it doesn't look
particularly easy to override the included BIND, I'm wondering if someone
else here has seen interaction problems with it.

I'm interested in general BIND/Win2k interaction tips, horror stories, etc,
but I wouldn't be trying to integrate these two if I didn't have to, so
"dump Win2k" comments should be sent to /dev/null.