Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:09:37 -0500
From:      Lonnie <Lonnie_Cumberland@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hardware Question

Hello,

I am currently running Linux Mandrake 7.1 and have become disappointed
with the performance of Linux on my system.  It appears to be somewhat
sluggish at times and slow to respond to various web/ftp queries.

We are developing an Internet application, and from what information
that I can find, FreeBSD was built to handle large user loads and is
supposed to be more stable than Linux which is what we are looking for.

One of our test machines is an Intel Pentium 500Mhz with 128-Meg ram,
16Meg 3dfx VooDoo3  AGP video card, 27.3 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, with a
Ultra ATA 66 controller.

What I am wondering before I decide to switch over the FreeBSD from my
current Linux, is if FreeBSD will run on this machine setup.  There
appears to be a problem with the new versions of Mandrake 7.2 supporting
this setup and to make things run would require much modifications
before it could get installed.

I would also presume that we could still do our standard web
developments using FreeBSD as it should have similiar c++ library
headers as Linux GCC and I am also guessing that MySQL can be installed
as well?

Besr Regards,
Lonnie Cumberland