Date:      Mon, 04 May 2009 04:52:04 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        re@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   possible loader regression on RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE

----Security_Multipart(Mon_May__4_04_52_04_2009_044)--

During upgrading boxes in allbsd.org to RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE I found
one of them could not boot at the loader stage.  The error messages
issued by the loader after "make installkernel + make installworld +
reboot" were the following:

|/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x7cbd7c data=0xcece0+0x67940
|readin failed
|
|elf32_loadimage: read failed
|/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x7cbd7c data=0xcece0+0x67940
|readin failed
|
|elf32_loadimage: read failed
|Unable to load a kernel!

The normal loader prompt was displayed after that and I can enter
commands, but neither the kernel nor some old kernels which I
confirmed they worked fine got loaded.

Then I tried a livefs CDROM, but the same error occurred at the loader
stage.  So I tried 7.1R CDROM instead, mounted the root file system on
the hard drive, and copied a loader binary from 7.1R.  It worked with
no problem with the RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE kernel.

The motherboard was Supermicro P4DPE (Xeon 2.4GHz x 2, 3GB RAM).  The
installed version was FreeBSD/i386.

I did not narrow down the cause yet due to the time was limited, but
it was reproducible and probably hardware-dependent.  Replacing the
loader binary with the old one worked as a workaround, so I guess
there may be a regression around the boot loader.  Just a report.