Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 17:13:05 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Dale Anderson <danderso@crystalsugar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

>    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Not bright enough to
>understand ????"   What  us IT people mean, is that running an
>application under emulation means it will run a little slower, as that
>middle abstraction layer has to emulate and that takes CPU cycles.
>Another reason is that if you talk to some sort of tech support for a
>product that isn't running quite right under emulation, they will just
>tell us to "Go get the real platform to run it on."
>   Also, are applications need to run all the time, everytime.  Users
>don't understand the concept of downtime, and often our job performance
>is rated on up-time. For these reasons, we like native applications over
>"Emulated enviroments."

	Good points. The problem here seems to be the generally held
principle that Linux emulation on FreeBSD in most cases out performs Linux
itself. In one place a friend who could not get a native linux application
running at all in Linux says it runs flawlessly under emulation.
	BUT, right now for the FreeBSD project, Linux emulation is it
until we have a bigger user base and can approach the big guys with
hardcore numbers. "10 million people currently use FreeBSD v X.x mostly in
server applications. What are the chances that we'll see a native build of
your product? If you need to know anything specific then here are the
answers."

						Rick