Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:32:55 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: aggregating bandwidth fr 3 incoming DSL lines

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:42:41 -0700
> From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
>
> In looking at this, the idea of the devices that Fat Pipe is
> selling is that you buy TWO devices, one for each "site" that
> you want to interconnect.  Presumably you then have
> multiple DSL lines from different ISP's coming to each site.

From what I can see, each device (Stream, SuperStream, Xtreme, Warp)
has multiple interfaces on it, so you use one box for up to 3
external net connections.

> This is NOT a solution used with a single ISP to increase
> incoming Internet bandwidth from that ISP.
>
> In theory, it should be possible to duplicate this with
> ppp under FreeBSD, you create a config that runs multilink PPP
> over TCP.  PPP-over-TCP is already supported in user-mode ppp
> as is multilink PPP.  You may have to make some modifications
> to the ppp program itself, but most of the work has been done.
>
> My only caution though is that if one circuit path between each
> site has a tremendously higher amount of Round Trip Times on
> traffic between the sites, then your link is going to favor the
> circuit path with the hightest speed with most of the traffic, so
> you may not notice any speed increase.

It appears that FatPipe may be using Linux, so I would say
there's a good chance that they're doing pretty much exactly
the kind of thing you suggest, except with Linux at the core
of their boxes and maybe some kind of local customizations.

They claim they have a patent-pending, who knows what that applies
to.  I have to say that this is the first "appliance" product I have
seen to do this sort of thing. There are other companies that have
low-end aggregation boxes but most of them are either some kind of
web proxy or something that assigns individual layer 7 sessions (ie
an FTP session) to a particular port in a round-robin fashion, not
actually multiplexing IP at the network layer.

I've been looking for a low-cost way to accomplish that, I may play
around with the multilink PPP thing on FreeBSD.  Seems the main
drawback is having to use NAT and assign private addresses to the
internal network, which means you have to jump through hoops to allow
access to hosts (ie servers) from the outside world. (Plus the
various other issues with certain protocols interoperating with NAT)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium