Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>, Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD support for Intel 815EM integrated Ethernet?

[Note: please direct replies to freebsd-hardware]

'Morning all,

I just purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-FX120 laptop.  Pentium III 700MHz, 192 MB
RAM, 13.3" active matrix 1024x768 LCD, built in Ethernet LAN, modem, and
sound.  Really nice machine; I really like it.

This machine uses the Intel 815EM integrated mobile chipset.  And, like I
mentioned before, it contains a built in 10/100 Ethernet NIC.

It would be nice to be able to get the built in 10/100 Ethernet to work
under FreeBSD.  It claims to be "82557 compatible", and the Windows
drivers identify it as a "Intel Pro/100 VE" adapter.  According to the
Intel datasheets, it is a "82562ET/82562EM Platform LAN Connect Solution".

Actually, it seems that FreeBSD "almost" works with it.  The fxp device
driver seems to detect it, and FreeBSD puts up a valiant effort to get it
configured and up and running, but this effort ultimately fails.

fxp0: <Intel PLC 10/100 Ethernet> irq 9 at device 8.0 on pci1
fxp0: could not map memory
device_probe_and_attach: fxp0 attach returned 6

Is there

On a side note, is there any hope of getting XFree86-4 going on this
graphics chip (Intel 815EM)?  Last I heard, you needed some special
gyrations to get the AGP going, and the only supported platform for that
was under Linux, using a kernel module; has this changed with the latest
XFree86-4 release?

Any and all help appreciated, thanks!
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>     | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!