Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 10:16:04 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Dale Anderson <danderso@crystalsugar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

On 05-May-99 Dale Anderson wrote:
>     So, your saying that FreeBSD can read in the binary and begin executing
>  machine instructions without any processing in between, or is the kernel
>  doing some sort of interpertation of the instructions to make then run
>  properly?????  I'm just not that familiar with "Linux Binary Compatibility."

Well, given the instructions are x86 code then the CPU DOESN'T do any extra
processing to run them. The extra work is done on system calls, but it IS a
fairly minor hit since its all done in the kernel.

ie its not emulation in the sense of emulation being a C64 emulator for example
:)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum