Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:12:21 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem with 8.0 Release

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend who is overseas install FreeBSD 8.0 i386.
> Left to his own devices the install failed, so I ran through it with him
> last night, all is fine till it gets to the root password screen where
> the install just hangs.  He is not very techy, all I could glean was the
> system has an sis chipset and it previously ran windows 7 with no
> problems, I am hoping to get a more detailed spec of the machine, but I
> thought might make an initial enquiry to the list to see if anyone has
> come across this behaviour before, or are there any obvious possible
> causes ?

I'm not aware of anything that would cause those specific symptoms, but
FreeBSD 8.0 is no longer supported.  You should be using 8.1 and 8.2 is
coming soon.  Another possibility would be to use the PCBSD installer to
install either PCBSD or a plain FreeBSD install.  The newer PCBSD installer
supports installing either version.

--
Adam Vande More