Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:15:31 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Vasily <admin@arfatur.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph problem

Vasily wrote:

> Hi ALL,
>
> I've tried to organize connection via ADSL modem using PPPoE (PPP
> over Ethernet). According to instructions I included in KERNEL
> options   NETGRAPH
> After compilation I tried
> ---------------------------------
> #/usr/sbin/ppp
> Working in interactive mode
> Using interface: tun0
> ppp ON myhost>
> ---------------------------------
> then
> ---------------------------------
> ppp ON myhost> dial
> module_register: module netgraph already exists!
> linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17

[cut]

My first guess would be, that if you run kldstat, you will
see that netgraph.ko is present. Also you have it compiled
explicitly in the kernel, and therefore they clash.

Disable netgraph.ko, loaded as a module at startup.

My own kernel config file, network part, looks as this, if
it is of any help (you should make changes where appropriate):

#-------------
#- Networking
#-------------
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies
options         IPFIREWALL              #Firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=50
options         IPDIVERT                #Divert sockets
#options        TCP_DROP_SYNFIN         #Disabled if running a web-
                                         server.

# Enable PPPoE
options         NETGRAPH
options         NETGRAPH_ETHER
options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
device          miibus
device          ed0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device          ed1     at isa? port 0x320 irq 11 iomem 0xd8000

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device   loop            #Network loopback device
pseudo-device   ether           #Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device   tun             #Tunnel driver (PPPoE)
pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter

This works with FreeBSD 4.6-p1, ADSL and a PPPoE modem.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Paul