Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:49:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Greg=20Quinlan?= <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPPD from 4.3S to 3.5S Does not work anymore HELP!!!!

Hi all,

Does anyone know why a FreeBSD 4.3-Stable PC has a problem making a connection
to a FreeBSD 3.5-Stable using 'pppd'. The connection was working before I
cvsup-ed the 4.3-Stable box. (make build/install-world)

In my dialup script ("dialer") I have a few line that say:
OK ATDT<phone>
# After getting CONNECT finish
CONNECT ""
SAY "Connected to remote host"
# Finished

Normally it would get to the line that starts with CONNECT and finish normally,
but for some reason it times out, never says "Connected to remote host"...
Weirdly no settings have changed.

I've tried userland ppp

ppp on tun0> set authname XXXX
ppp on tun0> set authkey XXXX
ppp on tun0> term
atdt<phone>
CONNECT 115200

Login:
etc....

So what's wrong!!! Has the 'login' program lost it's ability to detect ppp? Or
the pppd looses the plot after the modem begins to dial? Or maybe, more- likely
"chat" does not respond after the modem dials?

I've rechecked the /etc/gettytab entry!
default:\
        :pp=/usr/local/bin/ppplogin:\

I use this line in the /etc/ppp/options file:
connect "/usr/bin/chat -V -f /etc/ppp/dialer"

I even set up a user whos shell was "/usr/local/bin/ppplogin" and logged in as
that user. That worked!

So why isn't the chat script progressing to CONNECT?

Thanks for any feedback

Greg