Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:07:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jrs@rootshell.be (rootjrs)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl / ksh help

>  hi,
>
>  I know some one has already done this and I need a little help.  I have
>  two identical directories on two seperate machines.  The files were
>  moved over fromm machine a to machine b.  Everything is working
>  properly on machine b but all of the permissions were lost.
>
>  I've done the following:
>
>  (machine a)# find ./ -ls -print > perm.list
>
>  Gave me the file listing and permisions
>
>  (machine a)# cat perm.list | awk '{print $4," ",$11}' > newperm.list
>
>  This removed garbage like date owners etc that I didn't need.
>
>  Now I'm stuck with a file that looks like this:
>
>  -rw-r--r--   ./data/dir/data/getme.bin.old
>  -rw-rw-rw-   ./data/dir/data/stp.501
>  drwxrwxrwx   ./data/dir/data/realgoodgold
>  -rwsr-xr-x   ./data/dir/exe/help

If you have the directory on mach a with the perms you want, then
why don't you just tar that dir up with the '-p' flag to preserve
permissions.   Then make the directory where you want it and untar
it all, again using '-p' on the other machine .
It should do what I think you might be saying here.

on mach a:
           cd /dir-you-want-to-move
           tar cvpf ../stuff.tar *

move tar file to mach b