Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:31:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Peeter Pirn <peeter@rhubarb.fwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot `cvs co' from cvsup-ed repository

> I am having trouble running
>
> cvs co -r RELENG_4 world
>
> from the FreeBSD repository I have cvsup-ed to my machine. My cvsup
> config file is:
<snip cvsup config file>

> I run cvsup from cron and it appears to work fine.
>
> The group owner of the cvsup repository is `cvsup'. I am also a member
> of the group `cvsup', which gives me permission to check out from the
> repository.
>
> However, when I run `cvs co', the command runs, the hard disk gets
> very busy, but nothing appears to stdout or stderr and no checked
> out files are written!

How long have you waited?  If this is your first time checking out
RELENG_4 soruces, you may have to wait some time before it will start
writing files (approx. 10 mins for me).

I believe what it's doing is going through every file in the
repository and checking that the tag exists.  Regardless of whether
that's true or not--I'm sure someone will correct me in the latter
case--it will only do this the first time you check out from a
particular tag/branch.  After that, it will record its findings in
CVSROOT/val-tags and life will go on.

If you really don't want to wait, you can add a line like this:

  RELENG_4 y

to CVSROOT/val-tags in your local repository (create the file if it
doesn't exist).  I'm not sure if this has any ill effects, however.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and
virtue than education without natural ability."
        -- Marcus Cicero