Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:41:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru (Sergei Vyshenski)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nulled output of rc.network

> /etc/rc.network script has a line:
>
>   ${ntpdate_program:-ntpdate} ${ntpdate_flags} >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> With output here being sent to null, how can I notice that my favorite
> ntp server  went down, has changed its service policy, its IP etc?
> Maybe just
>
>   ${ntpdate_program:-ntpdate} ${ntpdate_flags}
>
> could be a better option?

I actually apply this one to all of our systems:
        case ${ntpdate_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' ntpdate'
-               ${ntpdate_program:-ntpdate} ${ntpdate_flags} >/dev/null 2>&1
+               sleep 20
+               ${ntpdate_program:-ntpdate} ${ntpdate_flags}
+               echo -n 'Doing more additional network setup:'
                ;;

(White space munged by X cut-n-paste, sleep 20 is a hack to allow the
routing daemons started just before this a chance to install some routes
so that ntpdate can actually contact the ntpdate server, the extra echo
is to make the console output look correct for later daemons started).

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net