Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:14:43 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic

I wrote a little program called loop that was

!/bin/sh
./loop

I had heard that this kind of script would cause the computer to crash,
but I have tried this and other such scripts, and been rather
disappointed in that all it does is to tie up computer resources so that
it appears to freeze.  Eventually the loop runs out of space, and the
program exits cleanly.

Now this program:

!/bin/csh
while 1
./loop &
end

really ties up the computer resources.  All good innocent fun.

I hear that you can edit /etc/login.conf to stop users from doing this.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu