Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:49:11 -0000
From:      "Christopher Raven" <gurab@lineone.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Link to Ports CDROM

Help !

when attempting (with FreeBSD 2.2.5) to use the command : -

# for i in *; do
>   ln -s $i /usr/ports/distfiles/$i
> done

in order to create a symbolic link to the ports on "/cdrom" (as
documented in The complete FreeBSD 2nd edition, p.96), I get as far as

for i in *; do     (RETURN)

and the console returns the error:-

for: Command not found
do: Command not found

I have obviously set about this incorrectly but don't know why. Can
anybody enlighten me please ? My machine is not currently Interneted
so I need to install from the ports CDROM.

TIA
Chris R.