Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:26:26 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jonathan Fortin <jfortin@akalink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin Article --Which OS is Fastest for High-Performance Network Applications?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:56:49PM -0400, Jonathan Fortin wrote:

> "6x faster than FreeBSD", rigghtt, was SoftUPDATES,
> DMA enabled, vfs.vmiodirenable=1 enabled?

Well, speed is sometimes nice.  And Linux with its asynchronous ext2
filesystem, and it's caching and all, might prove to be faster than
FreeBSD's default installation.

The problems with this kind of statements (Linux is faster in its
default installation than BSD) are far too many to list in a mail
message, but I can always try:

o  Speed is not the most important factor in all cases.  Reliability
   of having synchronous writes in the filesystem might be more
   important in other cases.

o  I am not sure if you do have an option in linux to mount
   filesystems with synchronous writes.  If there isn't such an
   option, then trd ying to prove that just because "we dont have this
   feature", means "this is evil and does not scale well" is plainly
   childish.  At least with FreeBSD I can choose if the filesystem is
   going to be mounted synchronously, if soft-updates will be enabled,
   etc. etc.

o  "Where are the raw numbers?"
   This is usually a killer question, for such statements.
   No, no, no, simply stating "I've done my tests and have reached the
   conclusion that BSD is 4 times slower" means absolutely NOTHING to
   me.  I am a man of numbers.  Hit me with a huge pile o' them.
   Only then I might consider such statemets a bit more seriously.

There you go.  What was it he was talking about?  Speed? :-)
Does it matter anymore?

-giorgos