Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:10:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        iang@digs.iafrica.com (Ian Freislich)
Cc:        Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de, rhh@ct.picker.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on detect fix for Hauppauge FI1236 MK2 Tuner Cards

> Luigi Rizzo...
> > there is a small program at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/txt.c
> > which i use to control various features of my card, and uses the
> > I2C commands to fetch Teletext pages from the SAA5246. The command
> > are very simple.
>
> That ioctl won't work (I don't think) because it only supports the
> following format:

yes... i did not wrote the i2c support routines in the brooktree, just
hacked up the ioctl to use them. I am not sure if the message format
comes from some intrinsic limitation of the bt848, you should check the
documentation.

> If you can write something to get the data onto the bus, I should
> be able to get it to initialise the chip correctly. I'd propose
> something like this:
>
> ioctl (int, BT848_I2CWR6, u_long *)

this would lead to an infinite proliferation of ioctls... buch better
to define a suitably sized struct, e.g.

   struct i2cio {
       u_char len ;
       u_char sa ;
       u_char data[MAX_LEN];
   }

to be passed to modified I2CWR/I2CRD routines.

	cheers
	luigi