Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:42:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Mahood <jim@mahood.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't unlink kernel

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:

+Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
+> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 07:49:42PM -0500, Jim Mahood wrote:
+> > I'm trying to install a new kernel, but can't remove the old one.  Make
+> > buildkernel worked, but make installkernel fails saying that:
+> >
+> > chflags noschg /kernel
+> >   and
+> > mv /kernel /kernel.OLD
+> >
+> > both failed.  I've tried running the chflags cmd myself, and it does
+> > indeed fail.  I can't unlink or chmod /kernel.  It's locked somehow, but I
+> > don't know why.... do you? :-)
+>
+> You're running at securelevel, aren't you? :)
+
+To expand on that a little more..
+http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#UNSETTING-SCHG
+

Yes, a friend set up the box for me, and set securelevel to 1.  I'm
learning so much new stuff! :-)  I just did "shutdown now", then
entered what I thought was single-user mode, but I still could not change
the flags on the kernel.  I'm just setting securelevel to 0 in rc.conf and
rebooting... but what's up with that single user mode?