Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:03:47 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, john1000@cwcom.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: orange book rating for freebsd

Darren Reed wrote:

> C2 is just a matter of someone with money giving a box to the
> NSA, appropriately configured and with suitable documentation, for review.

Please note that the certification would apply only to identical systems:
hardware, software, and even the configuration would have to be the same.
Changing the video card or even the keyboard would invalidate the rating
and require an additional rating for the new system.  Yes, the additional
rating SHOULD be trivial, but with the US federal gummint, you can never
tell.