Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        adampalitz@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pointer problems

> From: "adam palitz" <adampalitz@earthlink.net>
>
> would anyone happen to know why in xwindows my mouse
> pointer appears as a big white block...instead of course
> as a pointer?...its an ATX, but I'm using a 2button serial mouse.

I would guess you have an incompatibility between your card and X
server, or a misconfiguration.  Have you had the mouse working
correctly under FreeBSD/XWindows before?  What video card are you
using?  What version of FreeBSD?  Have you made any non-standard
modifications to your /etc/XF86Config file (ie. did you edit the file
by hand and change stuff)?

Another symptom of this incompatibility may be garbled text.  If you
open a big text file in an xterm then scroll forward and backward
through it a few times, you may start seeing the text "break up" and
become unintelligible.  If you are not seeing this, it does not mean
the problem is not as I am guessing, but if you are, it definitely
means an incompatibility.

---

Derrick Baumer