Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:44:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, dimitry@andric.com, jrytoung@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: encrypted executables

In message: <20080219040912.GA14809@kobe.laptop>
            Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
: On 2008-02-18 19:54, Jerry Toung <jrytoung@gmail.com> wrote:
: >On Feb 18, 2008 5:39 PM, Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com> wrote:
: >>On 2008-02-19 02:18, Jerry Toung wrote:
: >>> anybody knows of a tool to encrypt executables under FreeBSD? may be
: >>> from the ports?  I am not talking about simple file encryption.
: >>
: >> Can you elaborate on what you *are* talking about then?  Some
: >> security-by-obscurity scheme, perhaps? :)
: >
: > I need to encrypt elf binaries. I'd like to make it harder for the bad
: > guy to reverse engineer my app.
:
: You know about truss/ktrace/strace already, right?
:
: It may be moot to encrypt the ELF binary, if the `bad guy' can access
: the running image of the process *after* it has been decrypted to
: execute.

kill -ABRT

will generate a core file.

Often times, the core file can be quite useful in recovering the
original executable.

emacs has used this technique for years to 'preload' stuff, take a
core dump, then re-run the core file after some post-processing.

Warner