Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 1996 18:39:24 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        rashid@rk.ios.com, techadm@elvisti.kiev.ua, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P6/Pro MB and P6-200

>>    A question that we both eagerly await an answer to. :-) All indications at
>> this time are that they *will* upgrade the motherboard when the problem is
>> fixed.
>
>You mean "if the problem is fixed"?

   No, not really. The problem has already been fixed - again, it's caused by
a bug in the Orion chipset (specifically, in the A1 stepping). I'm told it's
been fixed for awhile, but ASUS tells me that they haven't gotten any of the
fixed chips yet.

>Seems to me that if they intended to do this, they would have socketed
>the part -- is it socketed?

   I don't think they come in a socketable package (they're in the standard
FP), and besides, I don't think ASUS realized that it was going to be a problem
for anyone. ...and really, for many people, it probably won't be.

-DG