Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Goodleaf" <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>
To:        Shane Hagan <shane_64@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD processor's?

I know of several people who run FreeBSD on both K-6 and K7 processors. I
don't know how great the performance is; it seems to me that in order to
take full effect of especially the K7's advances over the P6 core, we'd
need specific compiler optimizations for them. I am currently unaware of
any such. Still, I'm sure FBSD would run on them reasonably well. (The
motherboard is probably more important here than the processor.) It may
not extract all the performance the processor is capable of, but I feel
certain that Windoze won't either. It would probably be worse.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about Athlon or K-6 hardware. You may
want to search the mail archives at www.freebsd.org. I know there have
been discussions on this subject.

As to the Power Pack, I'd love to tell you to buy it. Some of your money
would trickle back to the wonderful FBSD developers to whom we owe so
much. However, I think if you're really a newby, you're better off reading
the online handbook and installing FreeBSD via FTP. If your net connection
is too slow for that, then my second rec. would be to buy the printed form
of the FBSD handbook, which comes with 4.0 CDs. This gives you a chance to
look things over without quite spending the $100 for the PowerPack.
There's also Greg Lehey's Complete FreeBSD, which also comes with CDs.
Both cost $50ish I think. I don't know exactly what's in the PowerPack,
but I feel reasonably sure that you can acquire it after you've started on
the road to BSD mastery without dropping the cash. By the way, don't
bother to wait for the next version. Once you've got FBSD installed, you
can use the CVSup system (explained in Lehey's book and the Handbook) to
get the new versions as often as you like for free. Just download version
4, or buy it in a jewel case or purchase it with a book.

The online handbook can also be found at www.freebsd.org

Take a look at www.freebsddiary.org as well.

-J

John Goodleaf