Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:32:34 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What happenend to amd?

David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:01:48 -0700
> >From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
>
> >Good, then you can take a swing at answer this.  First, the amd command:
>
> >amd -p -k i386 -l syslog /home /etc/amd.home
>
> >/home is (of course) where our home directories need to show up.
> >The /etc/amd.home map looks like:
>
> >/defaults       type:=nfs;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,grpid
> >jer             rhost:=thrallo;rfs:=/export/home/jer
> >wpeters         rhost:=salty;rfs:=/export/home/wpeters
>
> Note that the default line says (among other things) "sublink:=${key}",
> so I believe that amounts to saying that "jer" maps to
> "/export/home/jer/jer" on thrallo, and "wpeters" maps to
> "/export/home/wpeters/wpeters" on salty.
>
> Is this the intent?

Nope.  Thanks for the hint.

> >and the following filesystem entries:
>
> >bash-2.01# ls -l /home
> >total 1
> >lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  30 Nov 13 11:32 jer -> /a/thrallo/export/home/jer/jer
>
> Yup; that matches my expectations.
>
> >and /a/thrallo/export/home/jer is mounted and readable.
>
> And does it contain the requested "jer" subdirectory?

Doh!  That's what I get for *reading* the link, huh?  I just expected
it to point to home/jer, not home/jer/jer, so I didn't look closely
enough.

> >So, what's up?  Have I hosed the configuration somehow?
>
> I rather suspect that if what you showed was the entire content of your
> map file, it could be replaced by:
>
> /defaults       type:=nfs;rfs:=/export/home;sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,grpid
> jer             rhost:=thrallo
> wpeters         rhost:=salty

Yeah, worked like a charm.  Since most of my (not included) users are
from thrallo, which has two home disks, here's what I've got now:

/defaults type:=nfs;rhost:=thrallo;rfs:=/export/home;sublink:=${key};
          opts:=rw,intr,grpid
jthomas   rfs:=/export/home1
dmorgan   rfs:=/export/home
larsen    rfs:=/export/home
dduffy    rfs:=/export/home
cpanza    rfs:=/export/home1
jer       rfs:=/export/home
wpeters   rhost:=salty

(The /defaults line is wrapped here for clarity, but not in the original)

It seems like I should be able to leave off the rfs:= for users on
thrallo:/export/home, but that doesn't work.  I guess there has to
be something in the second column?  Is there an entry that means
"just use the defaults"?

> So that way, from my own desktop (pau-amma), I don't try to use a
> loop-back NFS mount to refer to my home directory; it's merely (the
> illusion of) a symlink.  But from other machines, it does the expected
> NFS stuff.
>
> In general, I've found that avoidance of loopback NFS mounts is a Good
> Thing.  That, combined with specifying nfsv2, has actually made the
> difference from being able to crash my machine by running a "make" to
> uptimes of weeks.

This machine is all remote mounts; it doesn't have any home directories
on it.  I'm moving my FreeBSD workstation to automounts once this is
working, so I'll pay close attention to the loopback avoidance code.

Thanks again for your help.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com